Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Something I NEVER Thought I'd Do

Happy New Year!!!!
Like everyone I have a list of resolutions and ways to be a better me that I am working on becoming part of my routine.  But one big thing I want to focus on this year is appreciating the life I am living... it is one I never really imagined for myself.

New person, "What do you do?"
Me, "Well I was a teacher for 10 years, but I am staying home this year with my daughter." 

The REAL answer- I am a STAY AT HOME MOM!! GASP!!!!
Trust me even I can't believe it.  Hence me always leading with the fact that I did in fact work for ten years- like that justifies me staying home.  Or how I always say 'this year' as if I going back to teaching next year.  Or I give the reasoning- my husband travels so much it just makes more sense for me to stay home, we are building a home and I am in charge of going to all the meetings, etc...

Here is the HONEST TRUTH... I never pictured myself as a stay at home mom!  Ever since the third grade I knew I wanted to be a teacher.  I envisioned being in my classroom with my kids attending that same school.  Then I became a teacher and loved it, then teaching changed for me after Emersyn was born.  Suddenly the most important student I will ever have wasn't being taught by me, but the TOTS daycare ladies.  But I went to college and got a Master's Degree and I needed to use that education...right?!  
Then real life stuff hits you!  I am not sure what is happening around us but sad shit happens all the time to amazing people.  I was teaching (seeing my little gal for only a few hours each week day), and I felt like every time I turned around someone else was diagnosed with cancer or some other tragedy happened.  That's it... I thought.  I have to get over what people think.  I have to get over what I use to think about stay at home moms and realize life is short and unexpected things happen ALL THE TIME.  How do I want to spend these precious days?  My answer was simple. 
I want to spend my time with my little girl.
Exploring, learning, crafting, playing, reading, talking, snuggling, singing, dancing, and all the things that will define who she will become.

I realize that not everyone has the chance to stay at home with their children.  I know there are strong women out there supporting their family and I applaud that act of love.  I am blessed beyond measure to have a husband that not only supports our family financially but supports me as a stay at home mom raising our sweet girl and reaching for other dreams beyond teaching.
In closing, this is my one life to live and I am choosing to spend it at home raising my girl. No apologies, reasoning, or excuses needed.  

So this year I am appreciating and enjoying everyday- knowing that the simple gift of time with my gal is a blessing that I am forever thankful for!  

Here's to many moments turned memories in 2016!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...