Wednesday, June 27, 2012

An Organized Moment

Not sure why... but I LOVE organizing!  Most people who know me, know this little trait I have.  I enjoy a well organized space, and I am not afraid to say it!!  So even though my closet might have appeared already organized to most- I had some ideas that I wanted to change.

You see most of my closet is organized by type of clothing- like jeans, tanks, teeshirts, cardigans... you get the idea.  Then all the other things were organized in baskets.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good basket for organizing.  But I started to feel my baskets overflowing and I was never sure what all was stuffed in each.  So I went to Target and collected only a few cheap and easy materials to help clean out my over stuffed baskets and display the items in them.  My thought... maybe if I can see what I have I will wear it more often or at least realize I need to have a garage sale!

Here are a few of the ideas I put into place to organize my closet today.

My purses started on a shelf just all kinda tossed in.
I used the empty space under my last shelf and the carpet floor to create a hanging display for my purse collection. 


I simply took a tension rod and tightened it on either side of the shelf.  Then I used cheap, silver shower curtain rings to hang each purse with.   So easy, but they look so nice all hung up and visible!
This organization tip I did from the minute we moved into our home.  I might have a slight obsession with necklaces!!  I needed a place to put them all and a normal jewelry case just doesn't cut it.  I used the empty side of my built in shelves and added small screw in hooks.  Sooo easy and effective.  Now I can see all my necklaces, and they are right there when I am putting together an outfit. 




My next basket to organize was the one stuffed with scarves.  I love scarves!! They are great for all seasons! I  needed a spot to hang them so they weren't so wrinkled when I wanted to wear them and so I didn't forget about the ones at the bottom of the basket.
Again- I am all about using that random empty space in a closet!
I simply screwed in a small curtain rod.  Then I used those same silver shower curtain rings to hang each scarf.


  My last tip is one for the shoes!!
I love the look of boots all standing tall, like in a store.  However, the boot inserts at local organizing stores are around $10.00.  Doesn't seem like much until you realize you have about 8 to 10 pairs of boots!! That adds up!!


So my solution was to create my own boot insert!  I simply used an old box and cut a slice of cardboard that was long enough to fill my boot length.  I cut it and folded it in half.

Stick the cardboard down into each boot and there you have it!! A FREE boot insert so all your boots can stand tall!


I gotta say I had so much fun in my closet today!!  I have some fun ideas now for those empty shelves and basket! 
 Good thing about my new closet organization- It is organized and looks neat.  I can see everything and easily access everything.
Bad thing about my new closet organization- Those baskets hid how much stuff I really have.  Now that it is all out on display for me, my husband can also see everything!!  No more shopping for a while:)


Hope these little tips help inspire you to organize a space in your home.

4 comments:

  1. Dean just redid our closet and it made such a huge difference to have it organized! It even makes it a bit more fun to put away clothes after doing laundry! Your closet looks amazing and I am loving your blog!
    love,
    Gracia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracia- I agree!!! once something is organized I work harder to keep it that way! I did laundry this morning and everything got put away immediately! I have lots of other areas of the house that I am thinking about organizing a bit more!! Gotta LOVE summer!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh Julie, one of the many things I love about you... you come up with how to organize and I just "borrow" your ideas! ;) My brain just doesn't think like yours when it comes to organization! I may just need to hire you for some organizational makeovers in my house. I've got a few kids' closets that need some work!!!! Love your blog...keep the posts comin! P.S. I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kate!! And honestly I would really help with any organizational task you have planned!! call me!:)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...