Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Little Spring Stay...

When it comes to a guest room, I always like something that feels fresh, clean and welcoming.  I think the feeling of spring is one of the best!  After long winters, everything about spring is so welcomed- the colors, scents, warmth.  This spring feeling was the inspiration behind my guest room.  It is spring all year long when you stay in this room.
BEFORE...

AFTER...

When designing this room I started with a quilt we got for our wedding.  It had such pretty, bright colors that I could use for other room accents.  The quilt is mainly blue- so although most would immediately think blue should be the accent color, I didn't want to overwhelm the room with only one color.  So I dove a little deeper into the quilt and found this pretty peach tone.


I contacted my designer sister Jessica from jessicastoutdesign to refurbish an old dresser.  We chose a matching peach tone to paint the dresser to break up the blue tones from the quilt and the black from the bed and matching night stand.  Then we added some whimsical black and white knobs to pull in the black tones.  I wanted this same peach somewhere else in the room, so we also painted a picture frame for the opposite night stand.  This allows accents of the same peach tone throughout the room.  I also hung two blue bird photos down low right above each night stand.  When having two night stands that don't match it is nice to have something that brings them together in the design.





To go along with the peach frame, I use a stack of cream and blue books from Good Will and a cluster of fake peach peonies.


Above the bed, I hung a mirror we use to have in the hallway.  On the bed I used the blue color from the quilt as large pillows and added a throw pillow with the touch of peach again.



When deciding on an accent color I think it is important to use that color within the room at least three times.  Allow that color to show up as your eye moves around the room.  If it does, then it will make the impact you are hoping for!


Our guest room is open to anyone who doesn't mind being 'jack and jill' connected with our little one year old! Any takers... No... well, Happy Spring from a pretty room!  Stay tuned for more spring decor ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...