Thursday, February 6, 2014

Inside Fun with Edible Paint

This winter has been brutal! Between the snow and frigid temperatures, Emersyn and I have been spending most of our days inside at home.  Emersyn is only 10 months so finding activities that keep her attention can be a challenge.  We play with the typical books, toys, walkers, jumpers, and other items ALL day long, but I am always looking for new ways to stimulate her little mind and imagination.  I think sensory play at her young age is very important, so we have had fun with sensory bins with rice, cooked spaghetti, ice cubes, etc. in them.  I have noticed when I feed Eme any time I drop a bit of food on her tray she immediately runs her little finger through it.  PAINTING! Yes she will love it! But with a 10 month old it must be edible as everything goes into her mouth.  So I decided to make some edible paint and have some fun.  All you need is equal parts of flour and water, your choice of food colors, and paint containers.  Today I used 1/2 cup of both water and flour with a bowl for red and one for blue.  I also taped some butcher paper on the kitchen floor for Emersyn to sit on and paint around- this really helps with keeping the mess contained and easy to clean.












Okay, she loved it and could have sat there all afternoon rubbing her fingers around the paper, and of course she had to reach outside of the paper to put some drops on the hardwood- stinker!  She did put her finger in her mouth once and decided it didn't really taste very good.  Clean up was so easy! This mixture wipes of clothing, floors, and skin with just some warm water- it does not stain at all!  I must warn you this is really just for a sensory, textual experience it didn't really actually paint all that well.  Eme took a long nap after this activity so I would measure that as a SUCCESS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...